Monday, April 14, 2008

Relief



“In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35

The other day it rained. I mean RAINED. The water poured from the sky, the thunder shook the heavens and the lightening crashed toward the ground. In a storm of that magnitude you are forced to find shelter and wait for peace to return to the skies. As I watched that massive storm roll through, I thought about the emotional storms I had seen that week. I had spent time with widows who were struggling to feed their families, who were one day away from being chased from their homes, who were sick with fatal diseases and who had no humanly possible way to pay for their children’s school fees. The storm was raging all around them and it seemed ferocious in its intensity. Then, as all storms do, the clouds break, the rain softens and the thunder and lightening become quiet. Suddenly, after all that wildness there is a moment of peace.

On Sunday, I had lunch with Joyce, an HIV positive widow who is caring for 15 children. Some of her siblings and their spouses have died leaving her with an extraordinary number of children to provide for. She had been cooking all morning when I arrived. Sweat beads glistened on her forehead and the aroma coming from the pots immediately made me hungry. She was excited to share her tribe’s traditional food with me. As she set the small table, she told me that these ceramic plates had been a gift from her daughter. She had told her mother to use them only on special occasions and only with those you love. Not too long after those plates were given to her, her daughter died in a car accident. So, I held that plate in my lap with tender care and ate every delicious morsel of food she prepared for me. It was a tender blessing she had bestowed on me and I accepted it with humble gratitude. Then we went to her bedroom and sat on her bed. We both lay back after that big meal and just relaxed enjoying each other’s company.

We talked about so many things…our families, our dreams, our challenges. She told me how her husband died and how she ran from the ones that killed him. She told me how much she missed him. She told me about her siblings and what they were like before AIDS took them. She told me how hard she works. She is up at 5am getting the youngest children ready for school and giving the HIV positive children their medication. Then she goes across town to sell in the market until 8pm. When she finally reaches home, she makes sure the kids have something to eat. Then she checks on her HIV positive neighbor who is too weak to work. Then she sleeps for a few hours. “Kari, I need help. I can’t manage these children alone. So many times I come in here and fall to my knees and cry out to God. And do you know what? He answers me.” She told me story after story of how God had miraculously fed and clothed them over the years. I listened amazed at the lengths God will go to save the ones he loves.

As I left her place, I asked God how my resources could best help her. Out of love for her I wanted to meet a physical need. Just a few hours later, my best friend contacted me and said that she wanted to support a widow in need. I shook my head as I realized that God had already created a way to love his bride. The next day I went back to Joyce’s home, early in the morning before she left for the market. She greeted me warmly and invited me in. As I sat down, my heart was beating with excitement and I couldn’t stop smiling. She looked at me and smiled, “You have the joy of the Lord this morning.” “Yes, I do.” I responded. Then I told her of how God had provided a sponsor to pay school fees for 4 of her children. She took a deep breath in and then jumped up in the air screaming “Praise Jesus, praise Jesus, praise Jesus.” Then she fell to her knees and began to pray in her own language as tears streamed down her cheeks. Then we sang songs to Jesus in Lwo. Then she stood and rubbed my back as she continued to pray in with her mother tongue. Even though I couldn’t understand the words, I understood her heart. It was a beautiful, holy, joyful moment. We praised Jesus for almost an hour before I left. Somehow in that moment, the storm had passed and the sky was blue and intoxicatingly beautiful.

Update on the Widows:

Praise the Lord, it has been a good week! I saw Lovincer today and she was delighted to report that the landlord had been pain his back rent and was no longer threatening her. She said that she was sleeping better, some sense of peace has returned for her. However, after visitng her home today, I must say that her living conditions are wretched. Three of her children sleep under the bed while the other 3 and Lovincer sleep on top of the bed. The room is no bigger than a pantry and too small for her large family. Please pray God opens up a housemaid job for her! She needs to get out of that “house” before it falls in on her! Both Jane and Agnes, those most sick with HIV, are feeling better this week. Both were up and moving around. Not to say all challenges have been met, there are still two other widows desperate for school fees, but the loud storm seemed to have quieted a bit.

We are working hard to get a website for this ministry up and running. It won’t be long now!! We are also looking for a way to market the widows beautiful jewelry (beaded necklaces), so if you are gifted in business and want to help—please drop me an email- karimillermn@gmail.com

The land is still in process. We are waiting for the appropriate documentation in order to move forward, but we do have a particular piece of land in mind. As soon as things move ahead, I will let you know!

Update on my life:

I have really settled into my life here and it feels good. I have good friends, people that really love me and an opportunity to love others. It is the best of both worlds. I am excited to see what God might do in the next few months! Essentially, I am happy and healthy…what more could you ask for?

Kari

2 comments:

seth said...

thank you, Kari. You and God continually challenge me with what it means to practice true religion. I'm so thankful to you and your friends who have been given such a tough assignment in life.

seth

seth said...

thank you, Kari. You and God continually challenge me with what it means to practice true religion. I'm so thankful to you and your friends who have been given such a tough assignment in life.

seth