Thursday, April 26, 2007

A Blessing For A Dear Friend


“A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.” Proverbs 11:25

I have been refreshed this week. In the middle of confusion I was given a place of refuge, a place of rest. Last week I was in a crisis of sorts. All my best-laid plans were crushed. I was in Africa with no set place to live, no one to visit and no idea what to do next, yet I was not alone. God came close to me. He changed my plan to create his own adventure for my life. So, that is how I left Kenya and came to Uganda. When I arrived in Uganda, I was tired, weary and desperate for a friend. As soon as I got a hold of a phone, I called Veronica Nandutu.

Veronica is an amazing woman who has served God faithfully with World Vision for the last several years. She loves the poor, the sick and the lonely. I am amazed at her generosity of spirit and at her loving kindness. This week I have seen Veronica shower me with the same tender care she lavishes on the least and the lost. As soon as I called, Veronica came immediately to pick me up and bring me to her home. As soon as I entered her car, I felt my whole body relax and I was suddenly exhausted. Have you ever forced yourself to be strong when things get stressful-- gripping God’s promises tightly in your hand? Then when you come into the presence of a friend you finally allow yourself to collapse and feel the intensity of your confusion. Here I had come to Africa to love those who are hurting and now I suddenly found myself in a position to need the very love I had come to give.

Veronica’s home is simple but peaceful and loving. The presence of the Lord is in that place in a powerful way. It washes over you as you enter. To make me more comfortable, she moved herself out of her own bedroom into a side room so that we could stay together forcing her brother into the other room. She hired carpenters to come and put up new mosquito netting so that I would be safe from malaria. She heated water for me to bathe in.

Veronica has helped me know what is safe to eat here. Last night she purchased a cooked fish. I mean the whole fish complete with the bones, eyes and mouth. I was not sure I could eat it as it seemed to be staring at me. With much laughter, she removed the head and gave me the meat from the belly of the fish. I have to say it was quite good. She constantly watches out for me making sure I am well fed.

At some expense, she hired a security guard to watch our compound, as a muzungu in her neighborhood can draw unwanted attention. I was overwhelmed at her care and concern for my safety. I was also suddenly aware that my presence, my skin color, my nationality creates issues for her that she wouldn’t have if I wasn’t there. It makes me wonder if my presence helps or hurts? One thing I know though is that she is loving me as Jesus would and it makes my heart soar. So, I want to publicly bless my dear sister in Christ for her loving kindness. I pray that she will be refreshed as she has refreshed me. Will you all join me in praying a blessing over her life? Pray that God will refresh her spirit with his love, that he will continue to provide for her daily needs, that he will give her a future and a hope! My dear sister, I love you and I appreciate you! Thank you for showing me Jesus!

Update:

I have spent a better part of this week getting aquainted with the programs at Corner Stone, a ministry here in Kampala that serves and rehabilitates street children. I have visited two orphan homes and am starting to build relationships with the girls. Please pray that I will be wise and loving in cultivating these relationships. I have also been to see there Leadership Academy for girls. I was incredibly moved by the intelligence, poise and joy these girls possessed. They had been given new lives and showed me a tangible example of being born again. I will spend the rest of the next two weeks meeting former street children whose lives have been incredibly changed. I can’t even yet put into words the impact this ministry is having. I will also see more of their projects. I start tutoring the children that have just come off the street next week. Keep praying for me that I will be loving and build strong relationships!

Much love,

No comments: